Monday, February 14, 2011

Celebrating our boys


On Saturday we celebrated both Aaron’s third birthday and Adam’s first birthday. Our house is a mess right now from packing and painting and is not conducive for larger groups, so we had the party at our clubhouse around the corner. It was nice to be able to decorate in advance and not have to worry about things like I would if it were in our house.

I took Aaron over there while I decorated so that he wouldn’t be too overwhelmed on the day of the party…at least not because of the tractor décor everywhere. He was so excited. We’ve been talking about his and Adam’s “birthday party coming soon,” and he was convinced it was a physical thing that would be coming over to our house. It is a hard concept to convey especially to a youngin’ who takes everything literally.
(door sign)
The party started with some catching up and a little mingling… In attendance: Granny and Pa, Grandma and Grandpa, Aunt Amy, Uncle Brandon, and Addy, and my friend Courtney and her son Landry. Adam showing off some of his new moves... (still only about three steps at a time)
I took the opportunity to pose with my precious birthday boy...Aaron has always been a big Landry fan. Courtney's baby belly emerged not too long after Aaron had become well acquainted with my baby belly and sort of understood that soon her belly would turn into a "Baby Landry." He was born a little smaller than Adam, so I think he was even more of a baby to Aaron, if that makes any sense. He is so good with him and wants to make sure he is okay and likes to make him smile and laugh... much like he was with his baby brother.Then we ate pizza. Aaron is not too fond of pizza, so he had his favorite meal: chicken nuggets, carrots, and apples. Adam ate a chicken and rice compote, a little oatmeal, and some cheese.

Look at that face, it says "I'm a little stinker..." This hat is just fantastic. I found it for Aaron's first birthday and sadly, in all of the chaos, forgot about it. So I had to make sure Adam made use of it.Then we opened presents. Aaron handled the spotlight pretty well and managed to stay focused on the task at hand. Every time he grabbed a gift he would look at me and say, “You know what’s in here?” I don’t know if he was just trying to make conversation or perhaps if I just told him it would save him the trouble of opening it. Knowing him, it was probably the latter. Then after opening the gift he would parade it around the room. If it was a boxed toy of some sort he’d say “Mama, ope’ this up please?” After I turned him down a couple of times, explaining we would open the boxes at home, he then went to Daddy, then the next time to Pa, and so on around the room. Surely someone was willing to override Mama.
Adam sat in my lap and carefully studied everything I opened for him. The stuffed animals all received thoughtfully placed nose kisses and most of the gifts, regardless of what they were, made him smile, kick his legs, and make loud squealing noises.Adam getting excited...
Aaron, in true sibling fashion, was just as interested in knowing what was in Adam's packages as he was his own...Gift opening, toddler style...
Thank you Uncle Matt and Aunt Fi for Adam's London outfit. I asked Aaron what was on the shirt and he says, "London bus Mama, you know that."Landry thought Adam might need a miniature piano. Thankfully it makes a pleasant wind chime sound, so I won't have to return the favor to Landry's Mama one day. :) Adam studying... I am not sure what was in her sippy cup, but Addy was enjoying it. Perhaps it was the only thing getting her through watching gift opening from the sidelines. Grandma made these great stuffed fabric balls for Adam. They came with a giant dog too, which immediately received a sloppy kiss on the nose. Aaron has named him Big Dog. Our stuffed animal naming system is not very original, but rather practical. Aaron modeling the new backpack Grandma and Grandpa gave him. It was fully of goodies and has his name embroidered on the flap.Aaron opening a Play Doh set from Jenny and Barrett. "Who can I get to open this for me, and spread its contents all over the floor?"
Adam enjoyed the bear Jenny and Barrett sent, so much it also got a big kiss on the nose. We've named this one White Bear.Aaron searching for a new sucker to convince to open his Lego firetruck set from Uncle Matt and Aunt Fi. We opened it yesterday and he loves it. I took a video of him playing with it that I'll post in a couple of days.
A fancy mini John Deere tractor from Granny and Pa, naturally Aaron was beside himself...
Some gift opening moments on video...

Amy and Addy checking out some of the loot...
An attempt to document all three Stacer grand kids. It didn't work out too well.
Did you notice their coordinated outfits? :)
This is Daddy's "attention" pose. He used to do it all the time with Aaron because Aaron would take it so seriously. Adam is a little too gooberish for it, but he wanted to copy the first birthday photo anyway. This one was taken of Aaron on his first birthday...After gifts we sang and had cake. I’ve been singing “Happy Birthday” to Aaron all week to get him ready for his shining moment, hoping that would keep him from trying to hide under the table. He got a little shy, but made it. Adam just sat there in a sleepy awe and watched.
Adam had a small two layer cake all to himself in the themed John Deere colors...
Aaron requested a John Deere cake a couple of months ago which was how the whole party theme took shape. Here is my attempt at a John Deere lawn tractor cake... Aaron was itching to stick his fingers in the icing.

Aaron actually ate cake! It was a first for him. On his first birthday he wouldn’t even touch the cake and acted like it was toxic. His second birthday, he wanted to touch it but refused to eat it. He had no problem eating it this time. The heavily frosted cake was literally the first “sweets” he has ever had. Thankfully the mind-blowing aftermath only lasted an hour or so.
Adam, on the other hand, has always been an eater. He is not picky at all; it doesn’t even have to be edible. So he started off slow, then graduated to handfuls of frosting, then to handfuls of cake. I was leery of letting him eat too much considering the sweetest thing he has on a regular basis is plain fruit. So, we let him have his moment and got an adorable video and then I grabbed it and started cleaning him up.

The communal workout room is just on the other side of the kitchen wall in the clubhouse, so it was only a matter of time before someone turned up the stereo to workout. Adam enjoyed the beat while he cruised in and out of a sugar coma. Aaron and Addy burnt off their sugar by running around in circles and giggling.
It was great to praise God for our two boys by celebrating their birthays. We are so proud of them and so thankful for the blessing, so much so it is difficult to put in to words. They are adorable, wonderful little turkeys beaming with light and joy and laughter. In the next week or so I'll try to make a few more documentations of each of their special quirks and current affairs. I just wanted to post the party story for those friends and family members who could not be with us.
For previous birthday celebration posts:

No comments: