So just over a month later, I have managed to complete the postings from our trip to Colorado. Meanwhile, many things happened in that month that probably haven't received the posting attention they deserve. A fun fact.... this is my 400th blog post. As Aaron would say, "this is serious business."
DAY EIGHT, July 14, 2012
The morning of our departure was not rushed or panicked. We got up at the standard (early) time, ate, loaded the car and left. After returning our key and filling the gas tank, we headed south out of town on highway 149, toward Creede. We decided to take a different route home for a change of scenery and the possibility of it being faster. The seventy-five mile stretch of road between Lake City and the town of South Fork is called the Silver Thread Scenic Byway. It is beautiful, the kind of beautiful that makes me happy to be a passenger so that I can look around and not be responsible for navigating the twisty mountain road.
Creede is a beautiful little mining town about fifty miles south of Lake City. It has a legitimately "old" and genuine feeling. Like Lake City, it lacks any sign of commercialism or big name businesses but yet it still feels classy, clean, and pretty. In all of our years to Colorado, I've only ever driven through, spending just enough time on main street to browse whatever shops were open at the early hour we passed through. Alan and I decided that next time we would figure out a way to spend some more time in the Creed area.
So, we pit-stopped and the boys climbed around on the mining equipment outside the museum park.
 |
| I'm not sure what Aaron was grumpy about and Adam is actually smiling. |
 |
| On Main Street looking north. That area was used in June as a shooting location for "The Lone Ranger," which comes out in July of 2013. |
We walked around for about an hour and stopped in the only store that was open that early. Then we were on the road again. We did not stop again until Trinidad, 180 miles southeast, and only for a brief lunching and running of the boys in the parking lot... a standard part of any of our stops.
 |
| Adam finally fell asleep somewhere in New Mexico. |
 |
| Aaron was unbelievably well behaved and managed to stay quiet while Adam slept. |
Our goal for the first night was Clarendon, Texas, about an hour east of Amarillo. It was another nice setup, the boys each had their own beds. They were spent from the ride and thanks to the time zone change, our night was even later.
DAY NINE, July 15, 2012
After a nice Texas shaped Belgium waffle breakfast, we loaded up and were off. Our goal was to make it home by nap time. I was somewhat overcome with child-like boredom in the middle of the northern Texas prairie and began videoing the boys (all three) while they were being silly. However, I've decided not to include that (in total) twenty minutes of video footage, as it would likely only be entertaining to about two or three of you. And I only took a couple of photos...
 |
| Adam probably wondering when I would put down the camera. |
We were not very excited to return to the hot flat land of Texas, with the exception of being able to get out of the car.
I think we all would have preferred to stay in the mountains for a little while longer. So next year our trip will hopefully be longer, with more time to explore, fish, hike, and soak in the laid back mountain life. It is laid back, when your cell phone service is shotty at best, we didn't turn the tv on at all, and only used the laptop to keep my travel journal. Granted I still did most of my mama chores and all that entails, but they are a little more enjoyable when looking at mountains out the open windows and the crisp blue sky. If it weren't for the winters we may just move there. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment