The alarm went off at seven this morning and I gave considerable thought to throwing in the towel. I can't even remember what I would have done (before kids) if I woke up with a horribly swollen, sore throat, ear aches, body aches, you know - the whole shebang... probably use some of my sacred sick time, sleep in at least another hour, take a long, hot shower, and then relax while eating a warm breakfast of some sort. Reality, get up a seven and leave just enough time to take a hot shower to clear my head, [breast]feed Adam and put him back down, then sit in my bed and dodge responsibility a little longer. But not too long, because Aaron is up and in a delightful mood, as always, and ready for "Poopoo's time!" I haven't yet tested how long he can "hold it," and don't plan to - so I had to get up only minutes later to help him with the potty and get him dressed and ready for breakfast. Ah, breakfast... I did indeed make myself something warm, a deluxe egg sandwich, but after it sat on the counter for a time while I changed Adam's diaper and got him back up, it was no longer warm... and reheated egg sandwich is really quite gross. But I ate it nonetheless, only half because it didn't take long to realize I didn't even have an appetite.
How do you explain to a toddler, who requires conversation every waking minute of the day, that you have a sore throat and it hurts to talk. Really, considering he has never experienced a sore throat and the concept of not being able to talk would, if he thought about it too long, probably make him cry. So, less talking, a lot less raising of my voice (which I'm sure he benefited from), and more hand motions and patience. "Mama, are you sick? Why are you sick? What happened? Did you get a booboo? How did you get a booboo? Does your belly hurt? Is Daddy sick? Do you need to go to the hospital? No Mama, you don't want to go to the hospital....."
Ahhh.....!
One lighthearted topic that I guess I should have been more prepared for, but wasn't... We recently went birthday shopping for Alan. Aaron and I discussed some things that he could get for Daddy or that he thought he might need. Aaron really wanted to get Daddy "some new trucks, with nice wheels," but we opted for something a little more practical. Anyway, he is dying to tell him what it is. I tried to explain that we have to wait a few days to tell him, so that it will be a surprise, but he can't keep anything inside and I'll be amazed if he makes it.
House update... Alan has almost painted the entire interior of the house; the kitchen is almost complete, just lacking a couple of appliances, some finishing touches, and a counter-top that will likely arrive after we do; the flooring is almost in, and carpet install is scheduled in a couple of weeks. The end/beginning is nearing.
Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment