Sunday, April 17, 2011

"Lots of corvettes"

Some of my best memories as a child are when my Dad took us to car shows at the George R. Brown Convention center. We (usually just my brother and I) would wander around and take photos with our old school film cameras and my Dad would teach us a thing or two about the cars.

Aaron has long been a little automobile enthusiast, since the honing of his motor sounds at a young age, to current day, classifying cars by name and age (old or new). So, what better than to start him off early with his own car show memories. This was not his first car show (first one here), but it is definitely the first since he has started paying attention to the differences between cars. Corvettes are on his list of favorites, along with mustangs, garbage trucks, concrete trucks, mail trucks, and let's not forget Jeeps. Boerne has a couple of great car shows during the year, one of which is the Texas Corvette Association Open Car Show

So, despite still feeling like c-r-a-p, I loaded up the boys and we checked it out. I told Aaron we were going to the Corvette show and he was beside himself, he ran around all morning yelling, "Mama, time to go see lots of corvettes, new ones, old ones, yellow ones, lets go Mama." 
An attempt to document all three of us... 
Nothing quite like fancy cars in front of historic buildings. 
I love living in a small town where they close off the street for things like car shows. 
Now, I usually prefer classic cars across the board, but I may be willing to make an exception for this one, it was quite nice.
Or this one, they were "his and hers" brand new corvettes. 
I thought this one was nice too...
One of Aaron's favorites... 
My car-loving companions...
Timeless, although this one would have to be mine, because something tells me Alan would look ridiculous behind the wheel...
Of all the cars, Aaron decided this one was his favorite. He yelled, "Mama, look at that hot rod, this is so ridiculous." Of course, the old men standing about were quite taken by his enthusiasm. He was a little overwhelmed, so decent photos were out of the question.
Checking everything out.... It was a little difficult for him to understand why he couldn't "drive" any of these cars or even touch them, but he was a trooper and enjoyed looking and running around. 
This was his other favorite. Not even part of the show, just parked in a lot on the side.
Mama and Aaron, first of many car shows to come. There is nothing quite like it, classic rock booming on speakers in the square, the haze of smoke coming from the almost-burnt hamburgers at the Boy Scout's tent, old ladies dressed like teenagers, the smell of ArmorAll and mom's with little car lovers weaving in and out of the crowd. Good times. 

1 comment:

MBK said...

Nice-looking FJ for sale there. I think maybe Aaron needs one of those.