Almost exactly three years ago I became a mother. The dictionary definition of "mother" states "a female parent." It sounds so simple, so easy, so haphazard. Twenty-seven months ago I became a Mommy. I think this title is a little more endearing and personal, and in my case, more applicable. Mommy or Mama is the latest addition to my title and my job related skills repertoire expands with every day of this amazing experience.
I am a choreographer, a short order cook, nurse, motivational speaker, photographer, author, janitor, milk maker, and activities director. I take care of pest control. I am a hand to hold. I am the house keeper, event planner, interior designer, laundromat, and resident time keeper. I moonlight as a singer-songwriter and attempted comedian. I am a teacher and a story teller. I dispense hugs and kisses. I am a problem solver, despite occasionally being the cause. I am constantly learning. I am a detective and an automobile enthusiast; specializing in Jeeps, firetrucks, buses and any vehicle that delivers packages.
I am many things to my little boys, but it is my little boys that make me Mama. It is through my boys that I am experiencing God's blessing beyond anything I imagined. From the fullness of his grace I have all received one blessing after another (John 1:16). They give me purpose, laughter, love in their own way, a challenge, a refuge, entertainment, and a share in an innocence that can only really come from a child.
Today Aaron started singing "Jesus Loves Me" (in his own language). I recognized the tune and know how he says "Jesus" and "loves," and everything else was completely mangled... but it was the most precious thing and was another reminder that he and Adam are miraculous gifts from God and that I really do have the best job.
Friday, May 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
That's a hell of a manifesto. Keep truckin', and Happy Mother's Day!
Absolutely beautiful post, Ashley. How blessed you are.
Sarah
Happy Mother's Day Ashley :)
Post a Comment