Saturday, February 7, 2009

525,600 minutes, give or take a few

Aaron's first birthday is tomorrow. In some ways it feels as though it was just yesterday that we got home from the hospital or that he first laughed, or sat up; yet in other ways it feels every bit a year - if not more. If I think about all that has come to pass over the last year, I am not only overwhelmed and astonished at the miracle of God's gift of life, but also the countless blessings, guidance, wisdom, strength and courage that he has given us every day since we first learned of Aaron and laid eyes on our little Gummy Bear.

Since a huge part of my personal experience this past year has been breastfeeding Aaron, I feel the need to especially highlight this area, so indulge me for a moment. The first few days were trying, emotional, and stressful and the first week or so was some of the hardest work I've ever willingly subjected myself (and Alan) to... but I decided a long time ago to make it work and figure it out and that we did. Too well as it turned out because he ended up preferring me to any bottle we could find. I always said I would much rather have that problem, that the opposite. Nursing Aaron through his first year has been one of the greatest honors I have experienced. This is the way in which God designed us and finally there is good use and reason for these things that otherwise (speaking generally about all women here) just turn most men into bumbling idiots and cause back pain one way or another. I have never taken the ease and effectiveness of our nursing experience for granted and am thankful for every day that I am able to give him solid nutrition and foundation for many more healthy and happy years to come.

I have put together some photographs to show our journey - at least in the face of our little man... those dumpy cheeks turned to dimples, all of the teeth, his eyes, and his fuzzy blond hair....

Birthday

One Month


Two Months


Three Months


Four Months


Five Months


Six Months


Seven Months


Eight Months


Nine Months


Ten Months


Eleven Months

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday sweet Aaron! We hope to meet you in person someday but in the meantime we love getting to know you through the blog!

The Morlandts