In the first chapter of the book of Romans, the apostle Paul explains, via letter, how he longs to visit the Romans and says, "When we get together, I want to encourage you in your faith, but I also want to be encouraged by yours." He wanted to hear their stories of life and how God, whether they realized it or not, was working amongst them for their good.
Sitting in a group of women, I recently found myself divulging, quite seriously, a glimpse at some of the anxiety I have about Aaron's shifting sleeping and eating needs and closely monitoring my ability to continuing nursing him. No sooner had I finished praising God for the peace he is currently instilling in me and the realization that everything will work itself out in due time, did one of the experienced (3+ kids) mothers among us decide should would entertain the other experienced mothers at my expense and announce that "Nope, it never works itself out."
Those that either found it funny, or felt bad for her ill-timed attempt at comedy, chuckled; all while I was channeling my inner middle child readying an attack or even worse, conjure up an infamous Kohl woman stare. I felt my skin getting hot, which meant if anyone was paying attention, luckily they weren't, it was also getting red and splotchy. For about a two-minute period I was as irate as I could allow myself, given the setting. A slice of the disgust was for a peer sitting at my left, pregnant with her first child. Another slice for the sense of protection for the younger women among us who have yet to venture into the baby realm. Then, selfishly, I felt betrayed by a woman that I admired for her story as a mother. It slowly passed and despite her brief thoughtlessness, I still hold her in high regard for what she does for and with her children and what I am able to learn from her experiences.
I believe, as Paul so clearly states, it is part of our makeup as Christians to encourage each other in our faith. After all that we have experienced over the past nine months, I feel tremendously obligated to encourage new mothers and share in their excitement and help bear their anxieties and burdens as well. Though I do not agree with hiding the fact that having a child is an enormous, challenging, life-altering event; there is a time and a place for that, with encouraging words, and assurance that God is in control and if we persistently seek his guidance and that of the seasoned, wise women he places in our path, He will steadily work amongst us for our good and the good of our new families.
Friday, November 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
I know what it's like to need an encouraging word when you're going through a stressful time. And any change in the baby's schedule is stressful, in my opinion. ESPECIALLY if it involves nursing. Nursing is such an emotional as well as physical concern. My advice is let yourself be concerned and pray about all those little things. Because God does care about those little things and He knows your heart. Hang in there!
Post a Comment