After Hayley died we decided it was best to wait until spring to get a new dog so that we could train it outside in the warmth. That was the plan. About two weeks later, Alan came across an ad for a fresh litter of weimaraners in San Antonio. He had a change of heart. And about 24 hours later, I got this text photo of our new little girl. Apparently as Alan stood in chaotic pile of puppies, this one came up to him, swatted his leg, and howled... and then he knew.
The ride home was a mix of howling, crying and wearing herself out. The boys and I could hardly wait to meet her.
When we got home we found her snuggling with Alan on the couch, a little scared, and so precious.
I could not have been more excited. I always had dogs growing up and the thought of raising little boys without a big dog companion was sad. Then throw in a puppy.... we'd always talked about puppies as something that would never happen... too much work, too risky, etc. But I kept getting a new Weimaraner Puppy calendar every December and oodling over the pudgy little creatures. I honestly never thought this day would come. She was my early Christmas present. We named her Aspen.
During one of her awake periods (she was only 7 weeks old, lots of sleeping) the boys ran around with her outside. They were instant friends... | It would take some time to adjust to her size and clumsiness, but the boys were very loving and eager to learn how to help with her. |
![]() |
| I was in heaven... our two handsome boys and a Weimaraner puppy. I'm done. I don't think it gets any better. |
![]() |
| I think Adam was her immediate favorite. |
![]() |
| Anytime Aspen got scared or started to whine, we would tell Adam to sit down and she crawled into his lap and fell asleep. |
Here's a short video of them playing in the backyard. She was a tubby, flopsy mess, stopping periodically to cry and whine until someone pet or picked her up. The boys particularly loved how she would come snuggle up with them if they sat down.
In just two short days we would leave for a previously planned trip to San Antonio for Thanksgiving. Puppy and all. Stay tuned for more on that.












No comments:
Post a Comment