Sunday, August 21, 2011

Our first over-night-er - SA day 1

Believe it or not, Adam has never slept the night outside his own crib (or bassinet from the earlier days). We have very routine-based creatures and although we are sure they could handle a trip, if we had to, we would most likely pay for it for several days following. My parents set us up for success at their house a couple of weekends ago... We slept in the garage apartment with Adam, who had a real crib, and Aaron got his own room and bed (complete with plastic sheets). I'll get to more about sleeping later...


The trip down was fairly successful. About twenty minutes out from my parent's house, Adam decided his car seat was no good and tried every position he could to eject. When he would finally give up, he'd start headbanging and screaming. We were forced to play "Oo-de-lally," (his favorite song) repeatedly for the duration of the drive. Little high maintenance definitely needs to be broken of his dislike of traveling beyond Daddy's fire station exit. 


Once we got there we had lunch, played a little and then the boys both managed good naps while we relaxed and caught up. 


That afternoon we went out to our old house to check a few things and meet up with Alan's parents. I had not planned to mention anything until closing, but since I'm on the house topic, it is under contract, beyond the option period, and closing is set for September 9th! 


While Alan was in the house, I watered the yard a little and was able to chat with both of our old neighbors. The boys ran around in the yard and then we had to vacate because people were coming to see the house. It was the first time that I had seen the house after all of the pre-sale work was completed. I guess I was thankful for the drastic difference in appearance because it didn't "feel" like my house and could have easily invoked a few emotions that I have thus far evaded. We were not there that long and I was either watering or chasing the boys, so I swiped these photos off the listing website. If you were ever a visitor, you probably won't recognize it (the furniture is staged too).
The only room that poked me in the gut a little was Aaron's old room. My mother and I painstakingly painted his nursery when I was seven months pregnant, so to see the stripes and color gone was a bit sad. 
Quick flashback for supporting materials...
Mom taped for hours it seemed.
We were probably high on fumes.
I was huge and wearing Alan's shorts. 
Here's a shot showing finished paint.
Okay, fast forward close to four years... that evening we had dinner with Granny and Pa and came back to my parents for showers and bedtime. 
Adam looks like a full size man when with my mom.
Same goofy grin.
The grownups sneaked in a quick dip in the pool before it got too dark and then hit the sack ourselves. I only had to get up twice with Adam the first night, which was fine, I assumed should he awake in the night he would be a little confused and possibly need consoling. 


The next day we planned to swim a little and relax. Since this post is already much longer than I expected, due to my historical tangent, I'll save day two for the next post.

No comments: