Yesterday I overheard something Aaron said to Adam that made me tear up with pure joy... Adam was crying in his crib, it was time to feed him. I desperately had to go to the restroom, so I opened Adam's bedroom door and told Aaron to go in and talk to him. From the bathroom I heard Aaron go in and in the sweetest voice say, "Hey Adam, what's wrong? Don't worry, Mamas coming. Mamas potty. Don't cry, it's okay. Mamas coming to feed Baby Adam."
Oh my goodness... it was one of those moments where I was so proud of him and so thankful to God for his gentle spirit and a slight payoff for the "work" I find myself doing day in and out, attempting to mold and train him. It is a side of Aaron that most do not get to see because during short visits he is crazy with excitement and wants to demonstrate all of the things that make him cool, along with performing silly parlor tricks that others think make him cool.
When they play, Adam will stare at Aaron and giggle and for a moment it seems as though Adam actually understands the gibberish Aaron is spewing out at him at warp speeds. From time to time Aaron halts from playing to say "Mama, Adam drooling! Need baby towel [burp cloth]," and he proceeds to very gentle dab Adam's mouth area with the burp cloth, then hand it back to me while saying, "Thank you Mama, all better."
During Adam's many naps, if one of us makes a loud noise, Aaron runs in and says... "Baby Adam sleepies!" and will repeat himself until we stop.
If Adam is sitting in his bouncy seat and drops his Blue Bear or the burp cloth he is playing with, Aaron runs over, picks it up, places it gently next to Adam and says, "Here you go Adam, I got it."
Sometimes Adam cries, yes it is true... he is not shy in making his displeasure known, especially if I leave the room without permission. If Aaron can reach him (which, for obvious crazy-toddler reasons I don't often allow to happen), he rubs his arm and says "What's wrong Adam?" And that's usually enough to cause Adam to temporarily forget his current complaint.
While on walks in the double jogging stroller, Aaron always points things out and usually says "Mama, look a [tractor, mower, dog, mail box, deer, etc]." He has started saying "Adam look..." instead and will lightly tap his arm while pointing it out. Every now and then Aaron gets grumpy when Adam fails to look in the direction he's pointing, but so far his grumpiness is manifested only in an increase of volume and repeating himself.
I realized that there is a severe lack of photos of both of our boys, perhaps because it always involves someone holding Adam or laying down somewhere. I did stage a few the other day and managed to turn out some good ones...
We'll start with a mug shot...


At bedtime, after we read the latest firetruck or Jeep book and drink a little more milk, Aaron looks down at Adam, who listens from his bouncy seat, and says "Bye Adam. I love Adam," and Adam smiles.



No comments:
Post a Comment