Monday, April 26, 2010

Good Day

We have good days and bad days. There are some nights I go to bed feeling as though I have lost all control, wisdom, authority, and hope that tomorrow may be a good day. On the other hand there are days like today. Days where I, despite being physically tired at eleven o'clock in the evening, am mentally and emotionally strong. Okay, not so much strong, as not beat down. This is the life of a stay-at-home mom of two boys, in particular an astronomically stubborn and resolute twenty-six month old, who in addition to being one of the most trying beings I have yet encountered, he is also the most adorable and loving.

Aaron enjoys telling people that he loves them, for no other reason than it is fun to say and he knows it causes smiles. He will run up to me in the middle of one of his massive and loud energy explosions and hug my leg with all of his might. He is a miniature Alan, whom, if you have not yet discovered, I am quite fond of. Aaron has an elephant's memory when it comes to things like promises made to go outside to play, take Jeep rides, or holding baby Adam. He likes to sleep. He sits in Alan's spot on the couch whenever he is on shift as if he is somehow taking temporary responsibilities as the man of the house. He is my best friend, in the "under six and a half feet tall" category. He copies everything I do such as, brushing teeth, changing the laundry, unlocking doors, typing, reading, singing, etc... Imitation really is the best form of flattery. There are countless other things about him that make me smile, laugh, and continuously thank God for... things that I hope to do better at recording in the future.

I had this post in mind a few days ago and then Saturday came. Let us suffice it to say that I was in tears at the end of the night and felt completely bamboozled. I had been taken to school by a two year old who has the innate ability to see right through me, which clearly he inherited from his Daddy. He knows when I'm bluffing, sand bagging, or just wind bagging. He is way too smart for his own good and Saturday was just "one of those days."

So long as the good days far out weigh the bad, you won't hear me complaining. This isn't really complaining, is it? It is more a form of venting, to people who may or may not have experienced similar things and the paradox of loving these little creatures with every cell that comprises me, and wanting to tear every hair from my head... sometimes both at once. I think it is healthy to point out that I am winging it sometimes and other times I have no idea what I'm doing. Alan fills in where he can and the rest of it is a crapshoot, but that's what makes it so much fun. I never know what Aaron will run up to me and say or what he will do next. In this time of nap and nursing schedules, I welcome his goofy unpredictability.

Tonight he was sitting in Daddy's spot on the couch, drinking his milk and watching the ten minutes or so of "Cars" that he is allotted each day. I was sitting on the other side of the couch and said "Want to come sit with me?" He said, with enthusiasm, "Yes," and quickly got down, climbed up and sat on my lap and leaned his head on my chest. Today was a great day.

My Buster, trying to be tough with his hammer-fist pose.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love this whole entry but especially that first paragraph. I totally relate. It's amazing the contrasts of motherhood, isn't? I love your reflections on this journey of motherhood.

Sarah